"By adding auto racing, the IOC would transform a sport that already overwhelms the senses that much better."
[read more in, "Racing for the Gold"]

July 16, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Cheesy Perfection

By Sara Ibranossian 


Purple Haze with Lavender and Fennel Pollen. Midnight Moon. Le Pommier Camembert. Pecorino Toscano. No, this is not the menu to your local medical marijuana dispensary, this is the makeup of the magically delicious cheese platter I recently had at Artisan Cheese Gallery in Studio City.
When it comes to cheese, Artisan Cheese Gallery is the place to go – my absolute favorite. I recently visited this land of lactose for lunch and had my usual Grilled Italian Vegetable sandwich, stuffed with the deliciousness of roasted sweet red pepper, grilled artichoke hearts, caramelized shallots, grilled zucchini, smoked paprika aioli, arugula, balsamic vinaigrette, and danish pearl cheese on olive batard bread. All of this accompanied by the true star: a three cheese platter from sheep's, goat's and cow's milk.


 I've spent years whipping up cookies, chocolates and such. But, when it comes to cheese platters, I leave the dirty work to the professionals - the true connoisseurs of all things great. My love for this milk-based product is tried and true; even the thought of visiting the Artisan Cheese Gallery launches my taste buds into warp speed for the sharp, creamy, salty textures and blends it’s about to receive knowing that I’m in good hands and ready to be awed. 

Without question, my favorite part of ordering up a plate of this three part sequence has to be the process for which the Artisan Cheese Gallery is known: Personally catering each plate to the consumer’s cravings. Because I always know the three categories from which I like to have my cheese pulled (sheep, cow, goat), the captain behind this great cheese ship creates a combination platter from around the world to satisfy my salivating buds. 


This last visit was just the perfect surprise. You never know what you’re going to get and that’s the best part! The cheese connoisseur paired a masterfully sweet and savory mate to each aged block, including a small salad with spinach, candied almonds, apples and olive oil. 


The chef insisted that the Pecorino Toscano platter couldn’t do without this pairing. I delve in and quickly realize I discovered a new favorite (that I later learned was also the connoisseur’s top choice) - a creamy cube known as Purple Haze. There is only one way I would describe this: heavenly perfection. 


The texture, smoothness, and effortless ease of slicing a curved knife through this fluffy concoction, spreading it across a toasted baguette, and quickly tossing a piece of dried fruit or salted almond into my mouth equated to a beaming smile with each bite. The aroma and full bodied flavor provided by the lavender and fennel seeds in this dreamy creaminess made life great, because at that moment nothing else mattered or could come between me and my cheese. 


The Artisan Cheese Gallery is located at 12023 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, 91604. This is their cheese menu.